Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Isis knot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Isis knot Reply with quote

Ciao,
I'm now looking for detailed infos about that symbol called Isis knot....
if anybody can help me...... Rolling Eyes
Thank you in advance for every thing you can do and for your time Wink
Ciao ciao
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Advertisement

mary500
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I found will keep looking for more info.

the KNOT OF ISIS (tiet, tit, thet, tiyet)

Appearance: The origin of the Isis knot is unknown but it may be a variation of the ankh, which it resembles except that its crossing arms curve downward. The tiet was often shown with the ankh and djed signs as early as the Third Dynasty. The hieroglyph is usually translated to mean "life" or "welfare."

Meaning: It may be because it was so often paired with the djed pillar (a symbol of Osiris) that the tiet came to be associated with Isis. The djed and the tiet used together often alluded to the binary nature of life.

The tiet was often called the "knot of Isis" and the "blood of Isis." Complex myths surround these names, but it is uncertain whether they came about to explain the established epithets or if they truly relate the origin of the tiet. As it was called the "blood of Isis", amulets of the sign were often fashioned from red stones such as carnelion and jasper, or from red glass.
mary500
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a bit more:

The Tyet/tjet knot

In written sources, the meaning and symbolism of the tjet knot seem to be similar to those of the ankh, that is, life, and the sign is thus often translated that way. The tjet shape is used in personal objects, such as a cosmetic spoon, as early as the 1st or 2nd dynasty, and as a decorative symbol as early as the 3rd Dynasty, when it appears with both the ankh and with the djed signs, and later, with the was scepter.

Perhaps because of its association with the djed pillar, which became associated with Osiris, the tjet knot became associated with Isis, and thus it is often called "the knot of Isis" or even "the blood of Isis." Because of the latter term, the sign was cited in a Spell in the Book of Going Forth by Day, in the New Kingdom period, and was used as a funerary amulet, made of a red semi-precious stone such as carnelian or jasper.

From the Old Kingdom times, the knot was also used as a badge of office for the kherep-ah or Manager of the Palace
mary500
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!!! Very Happy
So, it means it has to be translate the same as the 'nk sign, isn't it?
Do you think it is possible that it might have the same meaning than the 'nk sign but that it has to be used referred to death, and so connected to the resurrection of the dead? I had assumed ( surely not properly) that the fact that it refers to the "blood os Isis" was a reference to the rebuilt of Osiris body.....
What do you think? Rolling Eyes
Thank you again for your help Wink

P.S. sorry for my english!
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No No! The Isis knot should not be translated as meaning 'death' or 'life', because it neither is voiced as 'nk, nor means either of those things.

The Isis knot was used from the Third Dynasty onwards along with Djed, Was and Ankh as one of the key symbols that adorned shrines and tombs (as Mary500 said). Its significance comes from its importance during the tests before reaching the Field of Iaru. The so-called Isis Knot was used as a part of Spell 156 of the Book of the Dead, in which it would symbolically infuse the blood of Isis into the dead one, and "drive off those who would perform criminal acts against the user".

The symbol does not therefore signify life, but is used as a determinative for 'wellbeing' and is used in the word for 'motherly protection' in Egyptian. It is most commonly used in Egyptian in the word 'tit' (no childish giggles) or as a later variant tjet, which means 'tjet protection amulet'. Egyptologists and Classicists guessed that the Isis knot must be voiced as 'tjet' due to this word, and the Isis knot being used as a phonetic complement in it.

When used in conjunction with the Djed pillar of Osiris, the two signs show the timelessness of nature, and how both paternal stability and maternal protection must be used together to defend the earth.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazie! Thanx a lot!
I get it !
I apologyse if sometimes I say foolishness.... Embarassed
Ciao
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it! Your English is perfectly understandable. I am glad that I could be of help.
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you? my sister lived abd went to school in.. I think Bologna? She speaks perfect! It would be cool to be that I could tell her I have an italian friend Smile
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all! Very Happy
I'm from Turin, north west of Italy, near the borders of France, but I live actually in the neighborhood of Aosta.....of course you can tell her about me (but don't laugh too much! Wink )...
Ciao ciao
Isis
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, i've been to france before. what does it look like where you live?
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm...something like....too many montains....??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
I'm joking, I love Italy and my town Turin....France is completely different, we don't have that much in common, even if it looks like!
There always have been a strange antagonism between Italians and french people....actually I guess that frenchs are strange to many europeans countries..... Rolling Eyes ......viva l'Italia! Wink

ciiauuu Very Happy
Isis
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm french!! Mad
lol, i am but i don't care if u think their weird Laughing but i live in American and never lived in France
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't misunderstand me! France is lovely, but has nothing to do with Italy, which doesn't mean that one is best than the other, but just that I like best Italy.....uhm....do you get my meaning? or am I too confused??? Rolling Eyes

ciao Bimba!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: