Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiaa and Sutailja and Siptah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Tiaa and Sutailja and Siptah Reply with quote

Right, this arose in a question in the "Egypt Trivia" thread and I was just wondering. The last male ruler of the 19th dynasty was a disabled chiled, the son of Seti II. What we came across was the question of who his mother was. We came up with three possible names Tausret, his regent and the principle wife of his father, Tiaa who was a secondary wife or Sutailja who was a Syrian concubine. Several sources name the three different women as his mother. The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt states that it was the concubine and this is the person I personally believe to be the mother of the young king but who do you think it was?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently, Tiaa and Sutailja was two acceptable names fdor the same person.
The Egyptians changed Asiatic names to Egyptian quite often, perhaps as an easier-recognized version, or maybe one a little more easily pronounced--for them.
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand that but the two seem to have slightly different roles. Whereas one is listed as a concubine under her name Sutailja why would she always be referred to as a wife under the name Tiaa?
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question--but I don't really know the answer!
Logically, I think perhaps she came into the Royal family as a concubine, won favor with the Pharaoh and became a wife.
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed a logical possibility. The whole object of this thread is to discuss different theories that you people have on his parentage.
Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si-amun wrote:
I do understand that but the two seem to have slightly different roles. Whereas one is listed as a concubine under her name Sutailja why would she always be referred to as a wife under the name Tiaa?

Why would a concubine be elavated to wife? Another reason would be she provided the heir to the throne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: