Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pronounciation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Pronounciation Reply with quote

Does anyone know the pronounciaion of Nephthys? Is it pronouced the same way it is spelled?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Neb-Ma'at-Re
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Neb-het Reply with quote

Chrissie,

Yes Nephthys is pronounced the way it is spelled (the 'ph' taken on as the 'f' sound) however this is the Greek name that was given to this Goddess. Her real Ancient Egyptian name was Nb-ht and commonly pronounced as Neb-het.

Since there were no real heiroglyphic vowels in the Ancient Egyptian written language, it is commonplace to insert vowels between the consonants when translating Hieroglyphs, similar to the way you might see an abbreviated add in the classified section of the news paper. (ex: apt. for rnt, ht and ht wtr incld.). Because the true Ancient Egyptian spoken language is basically a dead language, a lot of the pronunciations of Ancient Egyptian words are guesses, however, some may argue that many Coptic and Arabic words, pronunciations, and meanings are very similar to the Ancient Egyptian language.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!
Chrissie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I have two kittens that I am trying to find names for. I think I have decided on Isis and Nephthys as my kittens are sisters. I just wanted to make sure I was pronouncing it correctly.

Are their any other sisters in Egyptian history? I was also thinking of Bast and Sekhemet.

Chrissie
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Ya know what they say about kittens don't you? Reply with quote

Have you seen Sekhmet's (board member) signature pic? That isn't one of your kittens is it?

Seriously, I think Isis (Aset) and Nephthys (Neb-het) are good names for your kittens but I would say Bast and Sekhmet are more fitting names, since they are both feline goddesses.
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Neb-Ma'at-Re, Bast and Sekhmet are good names for kitties, but they're not sisters. Sekhmet was the alter persona of Hathor, as the vengeful lioness and Bast is goddess of household cats. Are you looking for names that will show their... sisterhood? or just really cool egyptian cat names?
PharoahKel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got a puppy, we shouldve named him Anubis lol. Is there any other Egyptian god dogs names?
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two ancient Egyptian dogs are mentioned here: http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/timelines/topics/domesticated_animals.htm
Their names are Neb and Abuwtiyuw (don't have the slightest clue how to pronounce this one...)
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! I named my kitten Queen Kiya:-)
Erm sister goddesses, mmmmmm, well I have seen Bastet refered to as a 'daughter of Ra'?? And Hathor, at various times in Egyptian history, was known as the daughter or wife of Ra and sometimes wife opf Horus. Where she is described as the daughter of Ra (She was his 'eye') you could say that she and Bastet were sisters. Then again Maat and Taueret/Ta-weret/ Thoeris were also both described as daughters of Ra.
Think of him as an omnipotent sperm donor:-)
PharoahKel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiya wrote:

Think of him as an omnipotent sperm donor:-)

Hahaha!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: