Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROSETTA STONE-A MUST-READ!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zampeada
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murphyz wrote:
I also feel that it should be returned, and there's many more items of historical importance throughout the world that should also make their way home - the Elgin Marbles spring to mind.

Yes, it is nice to see them elsewhere in the world, but there's no reason why they can't go 'on tour' every decade or just feature replicas...there was a Tutankhamun replica exhibition that toured the UK a few years back and that was very good, in some cases better than the originals as the goods can be shown 'as were' when created and placed in the tomb rather than battered and worn as they are now.

It would be nice if people could go to Egypt to see the items in their homeland rather than have to travel all around the world to see originals from where they were basically, stolen, back in 'ye days of olde'.

Saying that, looks like I best take myself back down to the British Museum at the weekend and take more photos. Smile

Mxx

*agree*
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zampeada wrote:
murphyz wrote:
I also feel that it should be returned, and there's many more items of historical importance throughout the world that should also make their way home - the Elgin Marbles spring to mind.

Yes, it is nice to see them elsewhere in the world, but there's no reason why they can't go 'on tour' every decade or just feature replicas...there was a Tutankhamun replica exhibition that toured the UK a few years back and that was very good, in some cases better than the originals as the goods can be shown 'as were' when created and placed in the tomb rather than battered and worn as they are now.

It would be nice if people could go to Egypt to see the items in their homeland rather than have to travel all around the world to see originals from where they were basically, stolen, back in 'ye days of olde'.

Saying that, looks like I best take myself back down to the British Museum at the weekend and take more photos. Smile

Mxx

*agree*

Does that include the gold, silver, jade, jewels taken from the Americas by Spain, Portagual, France, and Great Britian? If so then i agree it all should be returned to place of origin. But i for one am not going to hold my breath, until it does!
Ankhesenpa-aten
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if every artifact could go back to their place of origin, but sadly that would be quit impossible... You really can't expect the former colonial countries to return anything they "stole", in fact, many countries won't admit they "stole" the artifacts, using the excuse that at the time it was "their" property, as with the case of China in January of 2003. Last I heard they didn't get anything back yet...
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to both the British Museum and to the Cairo Museum and have seen the Rosetta Stone in England only a few days ago. If any of you have seen the Egyptian Museum itself you would agree that the Stone is far better off in England. The Egyptians have a mostly out of date, stuffy and un-airconditioned museum which dates from about the year of Tutankhamun's discovery. The museum does little to preserve what they have, apart from Tutankhamun. I do not want to see a load of American, British and Japanese kids climbing all over the Rossetta stone as they were doing with statues of Tiy and Amenhotep III. If it had not been for the British and the French then Egypt would not have nearly so much as they do in the the way of finds, tombs etc. For three thousand years they sold antiquities off to the highest bidder. The stone is best kept in Britain, for its own safety.
bel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Preservation Reply with quote

Is the key-note here. It is sad to me that Egypt let's their temple's go to ruin. It is a real crying shame that we are fightening one another for the sake of insanity when we could be learning the truth's from the Ancient's! There is so much abundance waiting to be discovered. If this simple truth were known and excepted the world would be a better place.
Thank you for sharing your experience w/us and letting us know what it is really like through eye's that have seen!
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: [b]British museum for the stine until Cairo can cope with it Reply with quote

I completely agree with Si-Amun. The Cairo museum is not the place for the relics. But Egypt should be- by right.

People like us should have the kindness to aid Egypt financially- if only we could. The lack of tourist interest in Egypt has fallen in recent years due to Near-East threats, and as a result Egypt is falling once more into ruins.

The Rosetta stone and the other relics in the British Museum should by right belong to the Egyptians- but their lack of funds mean that until Egypt gains enough money to preserve its relics they should be kept in Britain.

That time- when Egypyt has enough money to preserve its treasures however- might never come.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: pyramids Reply with quote

I guess that leaves the philosophy of all the work Hawass is doing on the pyramid's useless? I don't agree with everything that man does nor think's but he does spead am aweful lot of time w/them and their preservation! Considering all the money the Queen of England or the President of United State's for that matter has you'd think they could donate toward's the glory of the land and it's people instead of in their back pocket's!
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

I am not saying that I believe that we should air-lift the pyramids to rich countries, all I am saying is that if we have the chance to hold onto the most valuable Egyptian stelae of all time- and we have the capabilities to preserve it when Egypt does not, then we should do that.

Egypt should spend the little it has set aside for preservation- like you said on, on things like the pyramids and temples, that others cannot protect. Why should Egypt ask for yet more of its heritage back when it is unable to preserve what it already has!

I am not suggesting that we refuse to return the Rosetta stone, infact if Egypt wants it back then we should surrender it to her. All I am saying is that the Egyptians should be pleased that we are preserving the stone, and willfully let us keep it until they are able to protect it in the same way that we can.

P.S Just a few pointers, without meaning to sound rude:

1. The Queen does infact donate most of her money to charity, although
not to egypt.

2.'Fightening' is not a word, although it sounds so cool that it should be.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Pyramids Reply with quote

I did not mean to imply for one minute that you are wrong in your thinking.
I simply wish that we were all equal in wealth as we are in the kingdom. I do know that Hawass does not let more than so many people into the pyramid's at a time because it changes the air inside of them and lead's to decay. You can't take something like that ... that wasn't meant to be viewed by all w/out incapsulating it for preservation. You are right.
And since your Queen donate's her money than I will surfice it to say that the President of the U.S. has done some bad thing's in my eye's (yet in many eye's he has done what was not only necessary but commendable). Missed up world we live in. I live in the city he is from. Had a bad dream about his wife last night, involving flying and running from the terrorist's.
I do not understand the fightening word. Would you mind explaining.
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Pyramids Reply with quote

I am sorry I got so edgy, it is just hard to tell whether someone is trying to be offensive on the internet, because you can't see them, or hear the tone of their voice.

I think you must have made a typing-error on your key note bit. You said:
"It is a real crying shame that we are fightening one another "

It sounds pretty cool but makes no sense at all! Lol Laughing

Anyway, what is your angle on the Rosetta stone situation- I seem to have said a bit too much. Your turn-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: