Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Menes vs. Horus-Aha vs. Narmer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paw
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Menes vs. Horus-Aha vs. Narmer Reply with quote

Is Menes and Horus-Aha the same Pharaoh or are they two seperate?

Read a theory about Menes being the same as Narmer, but another therory was that Menes was son of Narmer.

Would this mean that Menes, Horus-Aha and Narmer might have been the same person or that they were in direct line to eachother?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Menes vs. Horus-Aha vs. Narmer Reply with quote

paw wrote:
Is Menes and Horus-Aha the same Pharaoh or are they two seperate?

Read a theory about Menes being the same as Narmer, but another therory was that Menes was son of Narmer.

Would this mean that Menes, Horus-Aha and Narmer might have been the same person or that they were in direct line to eachother?

Hi Paw, the best source on Early Dynastic Egypt i have found is Early Dynastic Egypt, by Toby A.H. Wilkinson. On page 68, he address' your question as to who is Menes? Stating that this is one of the most heated and protracted debates in Egyptiology. With such possibilities that Menes is either Narmer, or Aha (Hor-Aha), or a conflation of the two, or a mythical figure representing several rulers involved int he process of state formation. The jest of his discussion on the matter is that in his opinion. The evidence supports identification of Menes as Narmer is greater by a small degree.

What is certain, in his opinion, is that Hor-Aha succeeded Narmer, pg.70. They are likely to have been father and son. Perhaps the problem is that Menes is often considered to have founded the capitol city Memphis. It is Hor-Aha that is better attested in the Memphis area compared to Narmer. Hor-Aha, apparently is the one that made the choice of Memphis as the principal centre of government. The earliest burials at Saqqara date to his reign. While he, himself was buried at the historical royal burial grounds of Abydos as was Narmer.

I hope this helps.
paw
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx. Smile
Do you know anything about that Aha took a nebti name? I read in one book (but you can't belive everything you read) that he took Men as his nebti name. And that menes orgined from that. Is it proven that he took a nebti name or is it only a theory?
Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
Thanx. Smile
Do you know anything about that Aha took a nebti name? I read in one book (but you can't belive everything you read) that he took Men as his nebti name. And that menes orgined from that. Is it proven that he took a nebti name or is it only a theory?

Hey Paw, sorry but i just found that you asked this question. This is what i know thanks mostly to Toby A.H. Wilkinson's Early Dynastic Egypt. Aha, did have a Nebti name Hor(us). However, he is better known as Aha, because he did not use the Hor as a part of his royal titulary. (Royal titles) The first use of the Nebti name as royal titulary is found with Pharaoh Den, 5th Pharaoh of the 1st Dynasty.

The Nebti name better known as the Two Ladies refer to the dual nature of the Pharaoh, royal/human. It became part of the royal titulary during the 12th Dynasty. Before that some kings had one, others didn't.

Again i am sorry i didn't get to this post sooner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: