Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need info about crook asap due tommorow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: I need info about crook asap due tommorow Reply with quote

I just need some info on the crook i have to have 250 words on it but any little bits of info would help like hell
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Advertisement

PharoahKel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crook?
Ankhesenpa-aten
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the crook as in the Crook and Flail? Well the Crook is suppose to be a shepards crook symbolizing the power of the King as "shepard of the people", guardian and provider for Egypt and such...
Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I need info about crook asap due tommorow Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I just need some info on the crook i have to have 250 words on it but any little bits of info would help like hell

Hi Guest, i am sorry that this information comes to late for you. However, perhaps others with the same need maybe helped by it.

Source: Early Dynastic Egypt, by Toby A.H. Wilkinson pgs 188- 189.

The crook is actually called in Egyptian the HEQA sceptre, or spelled in modern Egyptian hq3 (with a dot under the h). It is the oldest attested (known for sure) sceptre in Egyptian history. Dating back into the Prehistoric times. The earliest example of the HEQA, ( hq3, with a dot under the h) comes from the U-547 tomb at Abydos, dating from the late Naqada II (d) period (appox. 32,00 BCE). The earliest surviving complete HEQA (hq3, dot under the h) sceptre comes from the same period, in the same cemetery, from the tomb U-j. This sceptre was made of ivory but they could be made of any material Pharaoh wanted..

The earliest representation of a king holding a HEQA sceptre, (hq3, dot under the h) is a small statuette of Ninetjer. He is holding it as the Pharaohs in much later times held it. Ninetjer (3rd Pharaoh of the 2nd Dynasty c.2750 BCE) holds it across his chest, balancing the flail, upon it, that is held in his other hand.

Ankhesenpa-aten is right in her understanding of the "crook's" purpose and symbolism there is no need for me to repeat her.

The U-j tomb is considered possibly to be the burial site of King Scorpion. Mr. Wilkinson's book doesn't fully agree, however it is some 5 years old and new data suggests that tomb U-j may in fact be Scorpion's tomb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: