Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As taken from another thread...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark_Meryetamun_28
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: As taken from another thread... Reply with quote

Imran and I are desperately trying to figure out how to perform necromancy on this forum here. Any help from users would be appreciated. If you have ideas as to how we could make the board more interesting to you, post them here or PM:

Ramsekh
kingtutone
Dark_Meryetamun_28

Thanks!

(Again, sorry Unas!)
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm no worries - I feel like I came off to strongly, any ways.

But, a few years ago a friend and I were running a site/forum, and we were experiencing the same problem. Not enough traffic! We realized that we had to outsource. Join and create internet rings, go to other forums and not just tell people "Hey! Go here!!!11!!1!'; but connect with someone, and refer them.

At first we made the mistake of thinking of the "traffic" as just numbers. We were having contests with each other to see who could bring in the most each week, and the numbers were dismal - maybe 3 a week combined.

Thinking of the "traffic" as actual people really helped our cause. Espeically since our site was basically a jumbled compilation of programs, music, blackmail and rants.

I don't know if things are still the same, though. Honestly, I haven't seriously touched a computer (e.g. Web design, programming, hacking, etc.) for years. I'd assume people still react to basic human kindness... But then again, I was accused of and almost punched for stealing a dollar a few days ago... Stupid elderly... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Merytre-Hatshepsut
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a moderator on two different boards and I find that it helps if someone "seeds" the board with the latest news.
I usually check the newsblogs for any of the latest news and make a post about things I find interesting.

It helps to create topics that have some type of question in them so that there is something to respond to.

The two best newsblogs I know are:
http://www.egyptology.blogspot.com/
by Andie Byrnes

and http://www.egyptologyblog.co.uk/
a news blog by Mark Morgan.

Other than that stay on top of spammers both the commercial type and the ones that post drivel. It's hard to have to read through a bunch of posts that read like people are in a chatroom. That tends to turn the more serious people off I think.

Having people post interesting tidbits they find on the web also helps. Sometimes you come across sites that have fascinating pictures or just interesting info, and posting that to the board can spark some discussion. And like I mentioned above, if there's something that sparks a question, then that's even better.

That's just my 2 cts worth Wink

Anneke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Coffee Lounge All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: