Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's Your Favorite Queen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. You're right. I had the date 1134 stuck in my head, but in fact it has nothing to do with crowning for either Matilda of Boulogne or Matilda of England.

I meant to refer only to Empress Matilda, the cousin to Stephen of Blois. She had legitimate claim to the throne of England, being (as she saw it) the true succesor to William Adelin who perished during the tragic White Ship disaster.

When Henry died Matilda should have become Queen of England by right - and during the interegnum of 1135 she theoretically had every reason to proclaim herself Queen of England (and indeed she did so whilst in Anjou). Stephen of Blois had the advantage however at the time, in that he was actually in the country when Henry died. Smile

The date I meant to point out was that of 1141, when in April, Maud defeated Stephen and usurped him. He was no longer King, and Maud became Queen in all but name - she became 'Lady of the English.'

The when Stephen gains the advantage once more we get all the exciting goings-on, like Matilda fleeing in a snow-white cape across the icy fields, or pretending to be a corpse so she could escape from Devizes. Smile
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that sounds about right. Henry had made the nobles swear fealty to his daughter before he died, including Steven, but they ignored this and Stephen became King on the death of Henry.
Matilda captured him and they came to an agreement that Matilda's son Henry would be Stephen's heir.
bel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
Welcome to KTO, punk_ankhsenamun!

I'm afraid my interest in English history lies soely in Arthurian legend, and I cannot relate to your hate for Mary I or your love for Elizabeth. Why do you love and hate these queens?

I am currently reading the 'Mist's of Avalon' and totally enraptured with it. It speak's so close to my soul! Also I have recently made another fairy bed (wish I could attach my art to share with the forum). I also am knitting a small blanket that look's like it is made from bird feather's for the bed, I put small pillow's of reindeer moss on the mattress that I macramed. This also I can totally lose myself within the creation. As for queen's why the Lady of the Lake was rather nice! For she stood before the time's of Christianity.
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely adore the 'Avalon' series, i've read every single one of them. 'Mists of avalon is actually the last in the series and it's quite confusing to read them out of order but the order is 'Ancesters of Avalon, The Forest House (Reprinted as 'The Forests of Avalon'), Lady of Avalon, then Mists of Avalon. 'Priestess of Avalon' is a separate novel that takes place during the events described in 'Lady of Avalon' and focuses on Helena, mother of Constantine. Apparently she was on the royal line of Avalon.
Dark_Meryetamun_28
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic, people. ^_^ But you can continue your discussion of the Avalon series in its own separate topic in the Coffee Lounge!
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Oh!Smile
bel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then
here's to Royal Eqyptian Queen's:
http://www.angelfire.com/la/egyptology/queens.html
so much to learn!
Merytre-Hatshepsut
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put together my own list a while ago:
Queen's of Egypt Dyn 1-20
bel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I didn't create this site and have not saved as a fav. because I can alway's find it .. it must be with you as well; Merytre-Hatshepsut.
It is obvious where our loyalties lie.
http://www.specialtyinterests.net/sheba.html
~Nefertiti~
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say my favorite queen was Nefertiti, hence my username. She seemed very strong and loving, at least from what I've seen.
I also really love Nefertari and Hetshepsut.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite queen is Tuya - Sety I's Queen, she became very powerful when her son, Ramses II became pharaoh. Very Happy

Scribes_Of_Thoth forum
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmose Neferatri and her mum Aahotep were very strong queens. I like Cleopatra aswell. She was smart and clever unlike most of her family and history has done her a diservice by portraying her as, at best, a mistress or, at worst, a whore. Ahe was married to Casaer and Anthony according to her rites which permitted polygammy. She was no mistress.
Cleopatra_Isis
Servant

Location: My Heart is lost, my mind is in Egypt, I'm stuck here in the U.S. of A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for Cleopatra. She married the men she had children with and was a dutiful wife, even when they weren't (aka Anthony)

Though she did commit suicide, to die by the bite of an Egyptian cobra was thought to give eternal life, her demise was better than being paraded in chains by Octavian (who I don't like, that's why I don't call him Caesar Augustus)

She was a strong woman in a man's world. She may have used her charms but she was doing what she thought was best for her people.
khafre
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefertiti! Nefertiti! and Nefertiti!

also hatshepsut!
Meritaton
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourites are all the Amarna queens: Nefertiti, because she supported her husband in everything, Meritaten and Ankhes, because... well I don't know, I just always liked them... also, Tiye, because she was such a strong and determined woman.

Of non-Amarna queens I like Isetnofret, mostly because she put up with Nefertari stealing all the spolight, and I think she was a good mother (both Khaemwaset and Merenptah named daughters after her).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: