Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who was Horemhab?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOY!
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murder him? LOL wow..that seems so...harsh Shocked
I mean in a way didn't she need him, for marrying her daughter? I mean otherwise her daughters would be single, and wouldn't be able to have any decendants. theoretically she had the right to the throne in the first place, but I think she still would have use for Thutmoses, even if it was just to help carry her family name. Laughing
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by Joy

[/quote]murder him? LOL wow..that seems so...harsh
I mean in a way didn't she need him, for marrying her daughter? I mean otherwise her daughters would be single, and wouldn't be able to have any decendants. theoretically she had the right to the throne in the first place, but I think she still would have use for Thutmoses, even if it was just to help carry her family name.
Quote:

He was a rival to her throne and a male one at that. No matter how much she tried to disguise it she was still a female. While he was alive he was a potential rallying point for all those dissaffected with a female ruler.

As it happens she did appear to need him for her daughter, not that they managed to have any kids that we know about anyway. And i'm sure I heard somewhere that Neferure played the part of God's Wife of Amun meaning she shouldn't have married?????

Here's an interesting point of view. She kept her affair with Senemut a secret officially although everyone new about it. She was supposed to be reigning as a man and a male ruler couldn't be seen to take a lover however, if she had stood by her right to rule by her higher birthright than Tuthmosis III alone and reigned as a woman pharaoh, as had been done, then why couldn't she do what many pharaohs had done themselves in the past and take a spouse/partner whether of royal or common rank? Ie Senemut! Amenhotep III married Tiy ad she wasn't royal.
JOY!
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Kiya.

Now to get back on topic with Horemheb.
I'm not sure what to think of this man. Sometimes I look at him as an evil king trying to erase all of the armana period, but other times I simply see him as a great warrior pharaoh.
Unfortunatly there is not much known of Horemheb's family, since he doesn't mention them. I've heard of some speculation going around that he was the son of a noble man named Neby. Neby was the major of Tjaru during the reign of Tuthmosis IV. I think one of the reasons why he is even mentioned as being a candidate for a relative, is because he infact had a son named Horemheb. Neby rose in rank, so it wouldn't be odd to hear of his son doing the same thing. Again this is speculation so who knows if this is true. It seems if he was a son of this noble man, then why doesn't he mention it? we don't really know where Horemheb came from, though some say from the north. Horemheb just kind of pops up in Akhenaten's reign, there is no mention of him before then? Mad
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance Horemheb can't be found because he was somethingATEN during the Amarna period? Not very likely because we do have his pre royal tomb but not impossible.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a military figure in Aketaten that has been questionably identified as Horemheb. But for the life of me I can't remember the name! It was something like Pa-Atenheb ot similar. If the identification was correct, it shows the presence of Hormheb early in Akhenaten's reign. It stipulated that it was changed to Horemheb after A.s death. In my opinion, though, the name Horemheb is shown in his tomb from Sakkara, which was prepared for him before he took the throne.
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by Joy

Quote:
I'm not sure what to think of this man. Sometimes I look at him as an evil king trying to erase all of the armana period, but other times I simply see him as a great warrior pharaoh.

I agree. Can never quite decide:-0
JOY!
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Horemheb is just one of them people who continue to boggle the mind. Some people are real black/white ya know? either you like them or you don't...not Horemheb.

Quote:
somethingATEN

That may be a bit far fetched but, it's possible he was? I'll check on some of my books and info. to try to find something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: