Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anthony and Cleopatra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Anthony and Cleopatra Reply with quote

It was the infatuation of Anthony for Cleopatra that ultimately led to the Battle of Actium.

Any comments about this statement? I am writing an essay on it (I think) and I would appreciate some ideas from people, thanks.

I have come up with....

- The Donations of Alexandria
- Plutarchs description of Anthony in Alexandria
- The Silver Denarii bearing the profile of Cleopatra, struck by Anthony
- The elevation of Anthony's children to Kings and Queen of the East
- The Divorce of Anthony and Octavia
- The Last Will and Testament of Anthony

Any other ideas that show how Anthony caused the events leading to Actium with relationship to his love for Ceopatra are sorely needed.
Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the later letters of Marcus to Octavius? They mention references (some quite interesting) of Marcus' lust for Cleopatra. They might be useful for something. You can flesh out both the characters of Cleo and Mark with Plutarch and Cicero, but copies of the letters might be quite hard to come by.

I haven't read a great deal on this section of Egyptian history, besides the basics.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooh, thanks. I have read the Plutarch (quite interesting so highly recommended!) and i've read some of the Cicero online (God I hate that man). Those letters sound interesting though, I have read a few of them regarding the sexual erelations of Anthony, Cleopatra and Octavia but not too many. There is always that horribly cliched one of the "does it matter where you get your pelasure", it is quoted so much it makes me want to scream! lol Thanks for the tip though!
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also lots of really wierd innuendo, that probably made sense to the Romans, involving Anthony 'reveling inside' Cleopatra.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness! That is awful, it really doesn't do much for the serene romantic image of Cleopatra that I used to have!
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheheh. I heard some letters written by Mozart to his sister Nannerl when he was eleven or twelve- and they are quite incredible. His music is so advanced and complicated, and yet he opens his letter by saying he 'needs the bog' and then goes on to describe how refreshed he feels afterwards. Then he says how if Nannerl doesn't visit he'll have to 'break her head', and says that he laughed when the King of Naples had to stand on a box to look taller than the Queen. It's all so unusual and dissilusioning, but still really interesting.

Besides which I never really liked Classical (period) music anyway, although Mozart is without a doubt the most sophisticated composer of that era. In general I find completely homophonic pieces unbearably dull, so I prefer his later Piano concerti and polyphonic pieces. The Baroque period is far superior.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, its all about Vivaldi!!! I actually hate Mozart with a fiery passion, I cant think of a single piece of his music I actually like to be honest. The "!Classical" period is unbearably dull actually, you know how much I am in love with "Baroque" music, and some o the "Romatic stuff" is excellent, but you can leave your Mozart. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

*goes off to burn some Mozart c.d's!* lol
Dark_Meryetamun_28
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic!
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Anyway. I couldn't seem to find those letters on the Internet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the BM owns the originals! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: