Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did they come up with that?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i guess they didn't do there homework! I've i've never seen the mummy or the mummy returns but they don't have good facts by the sound of it, aparently there is a part where scarabs eat someone alive, i mean, come on!! they ate dung!!

I deal with this all the time with visitors at our museum, especially with kids. They all want to see the "bugs that eat people." And they're shocked when they see an authentic Book of the Dead. "It doesn't look like the one in the movie," they say.

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns, starring Brandon Frasier, are takeoffs or modern versions of the original 1932 film The Mummy, starring Boris Karloff. No one needs to take them too seriously--that's the first mistake people make. They are not documentaries, and no one involved in the production of any of these films has ever made such a claim. They are simply entertainment, and in that I think they are highly successful, especially the two modern versions. They are for fun, and that's all. I have both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns on DVD and I'm not even afraid to admit it!

What these movies do is take snippets from actual history to lend themselves an air of credibility or authenticity. That's just part of the fun. Hence we have Imhotep, the vizier and architect of the 3rd Dynasty pharaoh Netjerikhet (aka Djoser). It is kind of odd that the original producers and writers of the 1932 film with Karloff should have taken one of the greatest and most revered personages from ancient Egypt and turned him into "the undead, a curse upon mankind." Then we have the pharoah in the movie, Seti I, second king of the 19th Dynasty, who lived almost 1400 years after the time of Imhotep! I think in the second movie the actress Rachel Weisz (Evelyn) plays the reincarnated Nefertari, who was of course the Great Wife of Egypt's greatest pharaoh, Ramesses II. The actress Patricia Velasquez plays the reincarnated "Anck Su Namun" (that's how it's spelled on the website--I would have thought it would be something more like "Anuksanamun"). This is almost certainly a takeoff on the wife of Tutankhamun: Ankhesenamun.

If you want to be really picky, there are all sorts of historical inaccuracies. Did anyone catch in the first film that the mummy Imhotep has to track down five canopic jars? There were never five but four. There's that scene where soon after coming back to life he approaches the comical character Beni, who is fumbling with his many religious necklaces to try to "pray" Imhotep away. Imhotep is clutching a shattered canopic vessel as he asks something like "Where are the other sacred jars?" This canopic vessel bears the head of Sekhmet or some other feline or lioness deity!

But why be picky? Again, it's just for fun. If you want to learn about Egypt, read, then read some more, and read more...you get the idea.

Now, go watch The Mummy and have a good laugh! Laughing
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that would be too hard. Apparently I used to be as annoying as that child in The Mummy Returns. Confused
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparently I used to be as annoying as that child in The Mummy Returns.

That kid cracks me up. I'd love to see him in other movies. But if he's anything like that in real life and I happened to meet him on the street...well...RUN!
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheheheh. "Quickly. . *squints in concentration*. across the river to Karnak!"
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imhotep has been used as the name of the mummy of the title since the boris karloff days.

ankhsunamun (a.k.a. ancksunamun in their spelling), nefretiri (they were going to use nefretiti, but it would have been too recognizable), seti I (the pharaoh name they used) etc...

yeah, it's a mess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: