Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did they come up with that?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramses
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the movie called "The Seventh Element" or something like that? And Yu-Gi-Oh! has quite a bit of ancient Egypt in it, though Shadow Games were'nt played in Egypt for real and there's no true King Yami.

And they mess up the names. In my fanfic there's a crown prince called Amunmose, son of Pharaoh Kheperasir/Kheperosiris and his brother's name is Setnakht. They should really look into using real names. But Imhotep could have been named after the Old Kingdom Imhotep. They did that, as you probably know. Rolling Eyes
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you all seem to be overlooking is that The Mummy (starring Brendon Fraser 1999) is the second remake of the original Universal Studios 1932 movie The Mummy starring Boris Karloff. The first remake of this movie was Hammer Films 1957 version starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

Back in 1932 the history of AE was not nearly as popular as it is today. Yes the discovery of Tut's tomb sent a big Egypt craze and fad around the world but not much history was known by the general public before this. So when those at Universal Studios sought to make a horror film about a mummy that returns from the dead they chose some ancient Egyptian names of historical figures, or at least some that sounded similar to actual historical figures(Imhotep, Ankhsanamun [Ankhesenamun]), but not their actual history!

Of course when Hammer Films did the remake in 1957 it wouldn't have been right not to keep the same names of two of the main characters. Another funny thing about the Hammer Films remake is when they show a scene from Imhotep's tomb,the archaeologist finds a small wooden box in the shape of a cartouche that contains the papryrus scroll in which he reads aloud the hieroglyphs and awakens Imhotep. Anyhow the name on the cartouche shaped box is that of none other than Tutankamun!

So in 1999 The most recent remake of the movie was released. Although the producers took some liberties in changing around the plot quite a bit, the main storyline of Imhotep and Ankhsanamun remained.

So the producers and writers of the 1999 version did not select the names of the chracters but instead they were selcted 67 years earlier by the writers/producers of the original Universal Films movie.
Neb-Ma'at-Re
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this and forgot to log on...again! Sorry!
What you all seem to be overlooking is that The Mummy (starring Brendon Fraser 1999) is the second remake of the original Universal Studios 1932 movie The Mummy starring Boris Karloff. The first remake of this movie was Hammer Films 1957 version starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

Back in 1932 the history of AE was not nearly as popular as it is today. Yes the discovery of Tut's tomb sent a big Egypt craze and fad around the world but not much history was known by the general public before this. So when those at Universal Studios sought to make a horror film about a mummy that returns from the dead they chose some ancient Egyptian names of historical figures, or at least some that sounded similar to actual historical figures(Imhotep, Ankhsanamun [Ankhesenamun]), but not their actual history!

Of course when Hammer Films did the remake in 1957 it wouldn't have been right not to keep the same names of two of the main characters. Another funny thing about the Hammer Films remake is when they show a scene from Imhotep's tomb,the archaeologist finds a small wooden box in the shape of a cartouche that contains the papryrus scroll in which he reads aloud the hieroglyphs and awakens Imhotep. Anyhow the name on the cartouche shaped box is that of none other than Tutankamun!

So in 1999 The most recent remake of the movie was released. Although the producers took some liberties in changing around the plot quite a bit, the main storyline of Imhotep and Ankhsanamun remained.

So the producers and writers of the 1999 version did not select the names of the chracters but instead they were selcted 67 years earlier by the writers/producers of the original Universal Films movie.

Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the Cleopatra film with Leona Varela in the lead part, with Timothy Dalton as Caesar and Billy Zane as Mark Anthony. The acting of Cleopatra was quite bad but apart from that the film was great. It showed Arsinoe, something that previous films had neglected. It also showed Cleopatra in various lights (giving birth, having her sister murdered etc) which I thought was great. It did not mention her three children by Anthony, which was a shame but in all it was a great film with some stunning (and a few not so stunning) sets. The scenes of the Ship in Tarsus, Rome and inside the Alexandrian Palace were amazing. The costumes were also superb, not always accurate but they brought Egypt to a wider audience. I really enjoyed the film, it was superb and a bit more accurate than previous Cleopatra films.
kissMEthursdays
Servant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si-amun wrote:
Has anyone seen the Cleopatra film with Leona Varela in the lead part, with Timothy Dalton as Caesar and Billy Zane as Mark Anthony. The acting of Cleopatra was quite bad but apart from that the film was great. It showed Arsinoe, something that previous films had neglected. It also showed Cleopatra in various lights (giving birth, having her sister murdered etc) which I thought was great. It did not mention her three children by Anthony, which was a shame but in all it was a great film with some stunning (and a few not so stunning) sets. The scenes of the Ship in Tarsus, Rome and inside the Alexandrian Palace were amazing. The costumes were also superb, not always accurate but they brought Egypt to a wider audience. I really enjoyed the film, it was superb and a bit more accurate than previous Cleopatra films.

Ooh I have to agree that the acting was pretty bad and i have a feeling that the actress who played cleo only got the role because she was so pretty. Vivien Leigh was (and will always be)my favourite cleopatra *sigh* (she's best known for her role as scarlet o'hara in gone with the wind)
past cleopatra movies seem to have romanticised her story - more about her glamourous persona and her love life - rather than her prowess as a pharoah, or something.
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty though those films have probably done more for Egyptology than any other form of media. I dont mind if they romanticise her slightly if it brings in a lot more interest for the Egyptian cause. I doubt a factual film about her, or her predecessors would do as well for the cause. I love watching them because they evoke a feeling of Egypt that I had when I was much younger, and an image that I still ahng onto not because it is factual but because it is such a beautiful image. I now realise what real Egypt was like then but it does no harm to have that romanticised vision in your head, it makes me remember why I love Egypt so much even if it is a false memory it is the one that makes me want to carry on and dedicate my life to it.
Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want another Mummy movie!!!
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about to be another wave of Egypt-based films hitting the states in 2005 and 2006 apparently.
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont generally like the idea that Egypt is brought into the mainstream film. they always mix up information and teach the younger generation that all the egyptian pharohas that lives in that time were evil. Mad id hate for my kids to grow up thinking that way. it also scares them about learning anything about Egypt thinking that theyre scary monsters from the past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nefertiti18
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know i thought the movies were ok but they didnt make any sense when I know that they werent even close to being true. It would be awesome if they were true stories.
Nefertiti18
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm like the only person in montana who knows anything about ancient egypt so i have no one to relate to so i thought i would come on here and talk to some people who are mature enough to get there minds off of everything else people talk about.
Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like The Mummy films. Imhotep was not evil! Generally, films based on Ancient Egypt don't show the truth - yes, I know it's an adventure film, but if you aske me, it's too far from the truth. Anyway, I'll watch The Mummy 3 because I like Brendan Fraser! Embarassed Heh, heh...
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imhotep means "He who comes in peace" in Ancient Egyptian anyway!
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really! The film's creators should search for that - I think they would be surprised!
Daughter_of_Ra
Servant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess they didn't do there homework! Laughing I've i've never seen the mummy or the mummy returns but they don't have good facts by the sound of it, aparently there is a part where scarabs eat someone alive, i mean, come on!! they ate dung!! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: