Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seth vs. Osiris
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's all this about Imhotep! As the main character from the Mummy I would have thought that they could have researched their names a little more carefully. The name 'Imhotep' means 'he who cometh in peace' (or 'he who comes with an offering/ bringing satisfaction etc.)

For a villain the name chosen really was poor. But hilariously for the more historically educated!
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that bothered me was they didn't shave Arnold's eye brows!
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
originally posted by Psusennes I
What's all this about Imhotep! As the main character from the Mummy I would have thought that they could have researched their names a little more carefully. The name 'Imhotep' means 'he who cometh in peace' (or 'he who comes with an offering/ bringing satisfaction etc.)

For a villain the name chosen really was poor. But hilariously for the more historically educated!

Yes I have said that to myself and it could cause a lot of confusion particularly as the name of his daughter in the film was called 'Nefertari'. there is enough confusion surrounding her origins as it is but she nevers claims the title 'King's Daughter' so naming a fictional daughter of Seti in the film after her just causes problems. Why couldn't they name her Tiia or Hentmire. We know Tiia was Seti's daughter and Hentmire may have been. i tend to subscribe to Hentmire being Seti's daughter rather than Ramses because she doesn't appear anywhere in the list of daughters at the Ramsseum. I know some of the name cannot be read out but she isn't listed amonst the first few daughters and only the first few daughters became Great Royal Wife and were honoured with a tomb in QV. Hentmire has one so I believe she was his sister.

Back on topic I was actually sad enough to sit through all three movies and note all the mistakes Very Happy

Arnold was still the most delicious priest in history:-)
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this inscription from the Vatican, made for Seti I:

King's daughter, king's wife Hent-mi-re-neter is given life.

I translated it myself. I'm so pleased! It sort of 'proves' that she was Seti's son, although there are inscriptions elsewhere that contradict this.
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah Osiris
Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both but Seth isn't evil anyway. According to the myth, he saved Ra from Apep every night.
Selket
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horus wins. When your Dad dies you inherit anything he has. And as soon you get rid of the greedy relatives you get everything.

Why does the Osiris vs. Set thing remind me of the Lion King?
coolgirl808
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it does remind me of lion king a little
Shoda Masyd
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're both pretty messed up. I mean... one is dead and the other is and unknown animal.... Confused But I'd pick Set over Osiris... not into the dead, green-skinned men...
Dark_Meryetamun_28
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris was depicted as having green skin because of the significance the color green had. The Egyptians had a lot of symbolism, and that didn't stop at color. "Osiris was often shown with green skin to signify his resurrection, and in the 26th dynasty, coffin faces were often painted green to identify the deceased with Osiris and to guarantee rebirth."

The article I read about this can be found here:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/colors.htm

Just thought it was interesting. ^_^ Me myself, if I had to marry any Egyptian god, I'd pick Osiris.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, wow, this is hard...

Just on one note, I know everyone here was talking about the Mummy movies...Arnold Vosloo is STILL hot... Embarassed Embarassed He's my luva!!!... Laughing Laughing Wink Hahaha!!

Anyway...uhhhh....BOTH!!! And for these reasons, 3 each!

For Osiris:
1. He is the Lord of the Dead, how awesome! Laughing Laughing
2. He withstood Set's evil-doings because his wife, Isis, supported him...how devoted! Isis and Osiris would be my favorite God couple, and Horus completes the family! How cyute! ^__^
3. He also stands for vegetation and rebirth...that green skin works for him!!!

For Set:
1. He's the storm-maker, and I love studying all types of bad weather. Shocked Laughing Laughing
2. God of chaos!!! Hello!! Cool He's the ultimate baddy in Egyptian Myth!!
3. He seems...rather a horny God, from what I read. I found that halarious and awesome. Cause...I'm perverted like that... Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Well...yeah...so I'm calling it a draw right here, people!! I can't choose between both of them, so...I like both!! (Though my FAVORITE God of all is Ptah, but hey, this is Set and Osiris, right? Wink Laughing Laughing Cool ).

nileqt87
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

osiris... a.k.a. auser

because i'm a necrophile, dammit.

you really don't want to know my taste in men. they are all either fictionally or non-fictionally dead--ELVIS!!!, undead--mmm...sexy vampires, or way old. Laughing

i mean, really.

for some weird reason as far as egyptian dieties go i like hathor. for some reason i think amun-ra is one of the cuter gods.

and i have a bit of a weird crush on ramses II.

set(h) on the otherhand...not so much. he's impotent. Laughing

but speaking of semi-baddies story-wise, i dig arsinoŽ--cleopatra VII's sister. i think i like her name mostly. it's fun to say. tryaphania is another fun name. and while on the topic of greek names, i also like persephone.

but yeah, osiris it is. the afterlife is more interesting because it is the unknown.
Selket
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I first learnt about 'evil' deities from reading comic books.

The Underworld deities in Marvel, and the Chaos&War deites at DC are always cast in an evil light.

In the comics Set is very evil and teams up with Typhon and Loki a few times. Hel, Erkingsil,Pluto,Set, Mephisto(search it,he's fascinating), and some Aztec dude brought to life the God-Eater...but don't worry all solar deities and Thor team up to stop him.
I'll try to find picstures.
Daughter of Set
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SETH
That was what I thought! Lion King was so similar to the Osirian myth. Except that I didn't get obsessed with Scar like I did with Set.
Also, his Egyptian name was Sutekh. He was never called Sutesh, but he was called Setesh. And if anyone wants to argue, I am a Set EXPERT (I even wrote books about him! I'm getting one of them published! ALL SET FANS, READ IT!! Please...)
PS: I also watched the Mummy just to point out the mistakes, and the Imhotep thing bugged the heck out of me. After that I don't watch movies regarding Ancient Egypt.
I did read one book where a mummy was brought back to life and he was so clever that the only modern invention which impressed him was
*dun dun duuuun*
A peppermint.

Last edited by Daughter of Set on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've actually written books on him? ..What's the title of the book to be released, and do you have a date out on it yet?

Also, with no due respect, please .. for the sake of the community .. DON'T POST LIKE THAT AGAIN!! Shocked Shocked

Edit >> it is quite possible he could have been referred to as Sutesh. I am far too lazy to look it up now to varify my point, but the Egyptians had many ways of referring to many things. My username, Unas, for example. It was known as Unas, Unis, Wns, Inis, etc. etc. etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: