Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Anubis]
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Set. Reply with quote

does anyone got any piccys or info about the god Set?

thx jamie 4 da banner
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Ma'at

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic!!

HIH!![/img][/url]
egypt22
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading a book called Egypt Gods, Myth, and Religion when i came across a section on seth and i thought it was really interesting. It said that all the deities had animals as a symbol, except seth who "perhaps due to his association with chaos and unfirtility, he was depicted as an animal with a forked tail, a greyhound-like body, a long snout and squared off ears. Either such a beast did not actually exist, or it is long extinct." I found it interesting because all the other gods had an animal that we can still associate with today. Hope everyone else finds this interesting too. Happy Easter!
saphira605
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i got a question for u why are u doing a report on a evil Twisted Evil god?
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Set wasn't always an evil God. In fact he did many great things in the Egyptian myths. it was Seth, for example, who defended the barque of the sun God on its nightly journey through the underworld and defended it against monsters and a certain great serpent who I am sure we've all heard about. Please dont try and pigeonhole Set as "evil" when in fact your concept of what is good and evil probably didn't surface until either late Judaic or Greek thought. Remember you are looking at Set from the eyes of a Westerner whose main religious influence (from society) has been from Christianity who quite distinctively have good and evil. Please dont look at pre-Christian religion in such a black and white manner, it simply is not that basic.
saphira605
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt mean by the other things i mean like kill his brother adn ruling the world unfairly not like the other part u just said i mean the part when he kill and ruled his brother osiruses land and stuff
Lostris
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really cool site about Seth:
http://www.per-set.org/index2.html
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some decent info on Seth, I would strongly recommend the catalogue of Egyptian deities by Wilkinson. It really is a fantastic book. It's also considerably more reliable that most of these websites (steer well clear of the dubious ones written by modern Kemeticists).

Seth was viewed for much of Egyptian history as an 'evil' force who despite his malevolence was necessary for harmony. If he was not appeased then terrible things would happen, and for this reason he is completely removed from the common Western opinion of him being comparable to the devil. Seth had good aspects as well as evil ones, like Si-Amun said. It was Seth who instructed the Pharaoh in the way of the warrior, and he who had shown the Egyptians how to obtain Iron, the strongest metal known to them (called 'the bones of Seth' by the Egyptians).
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth was besides the god of chaos also the god of the desert.

I don't think he was considered wholly evil. After all he did become revered during the 19th and 20th dynasties.
Pharaohs Set I, Seti II and Sethnakht were named after him.

I have also read somewhere that Amenhirkhopshef may have also been known as Sethhirkhopshef. Looks to me as though they may have looked at Amen / Seth as some form of duality?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Homework Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: