Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nephthys, Osiris, and Anubis....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisangel
Servant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Nephthys, Osiris, and Anubis.... Reply with quote

Hello everyone... I've been studying Ancient Egypt for quite sometime, mostly how they lived their daily lives and the more and more I studied the more I found myself intrested in the gods and goddesses... So i JUST started studying and read an article and i'm wondering if it's true or not (Since I found it on the net it could be false..)

It said that Anubis was born to Nepthys and Osiris... BUT I do know that Osiris was Isis's brother and Husband. So i'm wondering what happened to make Osiris and Nepthys "Hook up" (I guess lol) Did she trick him... Or did he know what he was doing... does anyone else know anything about this myth?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Dark_Meryetamun_28
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she tricked him. She disguised herself as Isis.
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thank you that helps a lot!
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the following on the web.

Nephthys

Lady of the House.

Cult Center: Throughout Egypt. Plays a role in the Osiris legend.

Attributes: Her name means 'Lady of the House' it's thought to be referring to Osiris' Palace. Nephthys conceived no children with her husband Seth. Her son, Anubis was conceived from a union with Osiris. It is said that she tricked Osiris into this union by making him drunk, or by disguising herself as Isis. Fearing Seth's anger, Nephthys hides the infant in the Delta marshes shortly after his birth. Seth murders Osiris and Nephthys flees in fear. She finds her sister, Isis, and helps in the search for Osiris' body. Nephthys tells her sister about the infant. During the search for Osiris, Isis finds Anubis and adopts him. After finding the body of Osiris, she helps Isis embalm him. The two sisters turn into birds and fly about mourning over the dead body. She is often rendered on the head of coffins, as Isis is rendered at the foot, with long wings spread to protect the deceased.

Representation: A woman wearing on her head the hieroglyphic symbol of her name.

Relations: Daughter of Nut and Geb. Sister of Osiris, Isis, and Seth. Wife of Seth, mother of Anubis.

Other Names: Nebhet
PharoahKel
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris, you are like an online searching maniac! Im gonna call you Jeeves from now on. Laughing
isisangel
Servant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Osiris that's help a LOT! Smile the thing i was reading said they had an affair that they both knew about.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PharoahKel"]Osiris, you are like an online searching maniac! Im gonna call you Jeeves from now on.

I use Google, PharoahKel--fastest search in the West! Very Happy
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read that in some legends Nephthys got Osiris drunk AND disguised herself as Isis! Now, she was pretty thorough!
Ankhesenamun3
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that too Si-amun.
Anubis
Servant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what I heard was that Nephthys came to Osiris in the night and Osiris mistook her for Isis and they "hooked up" and Nephthys bore the child Anubis.
Osiris_God
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent read about this I have a pretty good ancient egypt book i can read from so ill get some info
Kiya
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that very question has been bugging me too! Been wondering how Nepthys came to be with Osiris.Smile Thankyou!
NefertariAnubis
Servant

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark_Meryetamun_28 wrote:
she tricked him. She disguised herself as Isis.

Correct. Smile

*Born in Cairo and named after the Queen*
Daughter_of_Ra
Servant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anubis is cool!
kmt_sesh
Prince/Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree for the most part with much that has been written here. The legend has it that Nephthys used sorcery to trick Osiris into thinking she was Isis, and then lay with him. Anubis was the result. Nephthys must still have been wedded to Set at this point, so one wonders why she didn't turn to her rightful husband to produce a son. Did Set have some problems in the "manly" department? Was that another reason he was so jealous of his brother, Osiris? Surprised I mean, like Isis, Nephthys was Osiris' sister, and she prefers him over her own husband.

Actually, throughout the dyanstic period, Osiris and Nephthys comprise only one example of Anubis' parentage. In the Coffin Texts, Anubis' mother is the bovine deity Hesat, and in other versions of the Coffin Texts (which run all the way from the end of the Old Kingdom through the Middle Kingdom, and sporadically into the New Kingdom), the mother is said to be Bastet. In other stories Anubis is in fact the son of Set, and other sources give his parents as Re and Nephthys.

It was only in later times that Anubis' parents were firmly set as Nephthys and Osiris, and as Osiris II wrote, Isis goes on to adopt him. The Greeks called her Nephthys; to the Egyptians she was Nbt-hwt, "lady of the house" or "lady of the palace," also as Osiris II mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: