Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

king tuts curse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asteroth
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: king tuts curse Reply with quote

can any one tell me word for word where whats it says for his curse
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for a start it isn't precisely known as (if I recall ) there was an unfortuneate incident where the spell was convienently damaged beyond repair. Tell me if I am getting confused though!
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "curse" supposedly said, "Death comes on swift wings to those who enter my house of eternity to do evil."
Sounds great--but it never existed. It was said to have been found on a papyrus that was discovered in the tomb. But no papyrus of any type was found.
The idea of the curse was the brain-child of an enterprising newspaper reporter, who thought it up as a way to sell more of his paper. Obviously, it worked--we still have many that believe in the curse, some eighty years later.
Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real curse that I have ever come across in Egyptian text is in the Tomb of the House of Meni in Thebes. If my memory serves me correctly (which it usually doesn't) then it said something along the lines of:

Saith the elder of the house of Meni, "May scorpions come by land, evil birds by sky and monsters by sea to whomever does {efface?} my tomb"

(some of the text is missing)
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a special on t.v. one year, in which Zahi Hawass showed the inscription on a doorway in a tomb in Saqqara that had a curse, something to the effect that "may your ka be devoured by crocodiles and hippopotamus' if you enter with evil intent".
Obviously, the AE were quite aware of tomb-robbery. It just flaunts human nature to provide the dead with so may valuables. I've heard it said that one bracelet from a Pharaoh's burial was equal to an average man's wages for over a year!
Sphynx
Servant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The curse was said to be a 'curse' because of the mysterious circumstances of people's death after the opening of Pharaoh Tutankhamun's tomb. Lord Canarvon died from a mosquito bite (which was carrying some disease I guess) only 24 hours after the excavation. What was odd was at the exact moment of his death, all the lights in Cairo went out.

This theory has been toyed with for years, but really, there IS a reason behind it. When Carter went back to investigate the tomb, he looked at the walls, and figured out that what he had previously thought was chipping paint, was actually a fungus/mold of somesort. That's what was causing the people to get sick.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's buying into the popular mis-conceptions regarding the curse. Carnovan did not die from the misquito bite--he nicked a misquito bite with his razor, and died when the cut area became infected--he died of blood poisoning. And the "curse" just took off from there. It got sl bad that even the death of a person who had a reletive that was remotely associated with the opening of the tomb would be the victim of the "curse".

It has been reported, though, of the death of a woman who had a severe allegic reation to the mold from the paintings in the tomb. On examination, the mold was found to have bacteria that causes the breather to become very ill. But this is just nature--not a "curse".
Sphynx
Servant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Osiris. I knew there was something more to that I was forgetting. Forgive my lack of details ^_^ (Note it was three in the morning when I wrote that -_-)
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am not sure but i think when his mummy was found, one of the founders died. Or was that someone else?
Neith
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people died, yes, but that was just an accident. I don't believe in the curse.

Though Zahi Hawas seems like wanting to keep the curse alive. Laughing
<i>"Sorry, did I say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it, oh God, I'm so depressed. Here's another of those self-satisfied doors. Life! Don't talk to me about life."</i>
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it supposed to be some bizarrely high number, in its 20's of people that died because of the "curse", yet Carter survives to old age, fishy!
Osiris_God
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Carters assistant died a year after they excavated the tomb mabey it was i curse or mabey it was coincidence
Sekhmet the fearsome
Servant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wel, it was said that Howard hid the papyrus to prevent his crew from finding out and that its location remains unknown. but i think thats bull. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Pharaohs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: