Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How made of Soild mask?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZericsKirog
Servant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: How made of Soild mask? Reply with quote

How they make of Tutankhamun's mask. Soild Gold.
I do know how paper gold. But good question about soild gold... Confused
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: How made of Soild mask? Reply with quote

ZericsKirog wrote:
How they make of Tutankhamun's mask. Soild Gold.
I do know how paper gold. But good question about soild gold... Confused

Welcome Zerics Kirog to KingTutOne. Cool question you asked. To begin the artist took a thin sheet of gold i believe it was like 1/8th thick. He then beat it even thinner. Then using a mold of Tutankhamun's head he beat the gold sheet over the mold until it assumed the proper shape. Then he began the finishing touches of the mask, the inlays and polishing. Gold is a very soft metal and very easy to work.
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fine polish on the mask is still a mystery--we can but wonder what was used to give it such a super-fine sheen.
It has been said--I don't know if it's true or not--that when Carter uncover the mask the first time, he used a sable-hair brush to remove dust, and the sable-hair scratched the ultra-fine finish.
Osiris_God
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in a book that i have that funery masks were made of plaster stiffened with gold paint. Correct me if i wrong please Very Happy
Unas
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on the spot, Osiris Wink

However, this was mainly used for those who could not afford the lavish masks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
saphira605
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think they get a mold of tuts head with the pharaoh thing on him and then make another one for the holow part so his head can fit in it they melt it then pour the gold in then when the gold was hard a little to hold a shape they pressed it on then toook it out polished and added the stones and glass to the mask thats how i think they did it so correct me if im adn wrong because im just guessing. Smile
Osiris II
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: How made of Soild mask? Reply with quote

[quote="Sekhmet"][quote="ZericsKirog"]How they make of Tutankhamun's mask. Soild Gold.
I do know how paper gold. But good question about soild gold... Confused[/quote]

Welcome Zerics Kirog to KingTutOne. Cool question you asked. To begin the artist took a thin sheet of gold i believe it was like 1/8th thick. He then beat it even thinner. Then using a mold of Tutankhamun's head he beat the gold sheet over the mold until it assumed the proper shape. Then he began the finishing touches of the mask, the inlays and polishing. Gold is a very soft metal and very easy to work.

This was posted above, saphira--check it out for the CORRECT way...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Mummies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: