Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading Hieroglyphs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guy!
I got the answer from the egyptologyst of the italian site, which state more or less what Psus already wrote. I wish to give you a nice translation of his answer, so I ask you to give me some time to do that.....I'm gonna have dinner now!... Wink
I'll be back with the translation very soon! Wink

cia' Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

maatkara
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okkaayy!! I did it! Psus, this is confirming what you already said:

The sign E23 (the recumbent lion) in classical egyptian was read as “rw”, but in neo-egyptian this sign was simply expressing the sound “r”, this caused by a linguistic phenomenon called “lettura sillabica” ( should be “reading by syllable”). The egyptian language didn’t know the sound “l” , and when the scriba had to use this sound to traslitterate foreign words, they used the group N35 with Z2 beneath, or D21 and Z1 under. Example: U33, N35+Z2, D21+Z1, D40( this is the det.), will be traslitterated as “Tnr”(=strength, force), but it is read as “Tl”. The letter “L” can also be written as D21+Z1; ex: D58+D36, D21+Z1 will be trasliterrated as “Br”, but it’s read “Bl”, which Baal, the Canaan god. It is easy to see that the sign “r” could be used to render the letter “l”. Since in neo-Egyptian E23 had value of “r”, in later times it has been used for the “l”. This is the explanation on how the “L” of Ptolemaios (greek) or Ptolomys (Egyptian) was rendered with the sign E23. The sign V4 was used in later times for the “o”, probably because this sign (“w3” in middle Egyptian, sometimes simply as “w” in neo-Egyptian) was the most similar to the sound “o” of the Ptolemys’ period. We have to remember that Ptolemys were speaking and writing greek, a language that was using the vowels in writings, while the Egyptian was not. In order to render the sound of the vowels inside the names in hieroglyph writings, Ptolemys had to try their best, and they were doing right!
(Antef, or Franco Brussino, www.egittologia.net )

I hope you will appreciate! Wink
ciau!
Neferew
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I'm new to the site, so I'm not sure if this is exactly where this should be posted, but I figured I'd give it a try.

Can some one explain the significance of iw to me? what exactly does it mean, when should it be used, and why should it be used?
NEMOO
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Especially I am studying Hieroglyphs at egypt College
Akhnaton
Egyptian Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: A few... Reply with quote

I'm self taught too, as many of my mates here are. I cannot go beyond the names of famous kings/queens though Smile Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Hieroglyphs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: