Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rahotep and his wife, Nofret

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swincha
Tomb Robber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Rahotep and his wife, Nofret Reply with quote

Was this woman a queen? Is there any information other than whats with the picture. I look just like this statue.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Advertisement

Sekhmet
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rahotep and his wife, Nofret Reply with quote

swincha wrote:
Was this woman a queen? Is there any information other than whats with the picture. I look just like this statue.

Hi Swincha, Welcome to KingTutOne! That is cool to look like one of the ancients. It is how i got caught up into Egyptianology myself. I opened a book titled The Lost Queen of Egypt and saw myself as the Egyptian Queen pictured in the book. It can be quite a start!

Anyway, no she was not a queen, but the wife of a Prince of Egypt. The only title i know that she had was "known to the King" which is in itself a major title for a woman.

Here is a website that offers some information on her and her princely husband Rahotep.
http://www.ancient-egypt.org/glossary/people/rahotep-nofret.html

Psusennes I
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make out their names in the inscriptions. Ra-hotep (Re is satisfied) is described on the inscription as 'Chief of Seers', 'Overseer of the Army' and 'Keeper of the Sceptre' (?).
Nofret's name is also clearly visable. You can see it by both her shoulders, with a picture of a woman underneath. Above both names you can make out the phrase 'Aquaintance of the king' followed by her name. My translation checks out against what Sekhmet was saying about her being known by the king.

Here are some more sites:

http://www.ancient-egypt.org/glossary/people/rahotep-nofret.html
http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~mah/statues_of_rahotep_and_nofret.htm
http://imhotep8.tripod.com/hieros/id4.html
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand heiroglyphs anymore. i don't have an interest in reading anymore since that's all i do all day, everyday. It's tiring and very boring.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come you 'only read all day'? That doesn't sound too difficult.
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tedious to read anything not of interest all day. Especially since I am not a fast reader and can't retain information. It's pathetic Crying or Very sad
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you on that one. For my Philosophy Class I decided to do an essay on the beliefs in Evil during the Middle Ages and I had to read about 400 books from the time. One in particular was like wading through treacle, it was called the "Malleus Maleficarum" by Sprenger and Kramer. It has to be the most boring, difficult book in the Ebnglish language. i did read it from cover to cover in three days though, so I am proud of myself. The book was written in 1484, so you can imagine what it was like to read!
Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My american history was 542 pages and it took me 4 months to read. I'mm ot even half way done with my "word usage" (my second book) book for practical english and i started that in i think late september.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

America has a history that fills five hundred and fifty pages! There must be a lot of pictures! lol. We are studying American history at the moment actually, America in the 1920's, social and economic Boom and Bust! It is great fun lol, I would love to have met a flapper!
Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read about 200 pages. Then I cheated. Looked for certain words in the questions of my exam, then looked them up in the index of the American history textbook Laughing . About 1 out of every 7 pages was a picture. Neutral I passed all 5 exams from 88% to 96%. That means I missed 1-3 answers. There are 20-25 questions on my exams. Homeschooling is simple but sometimes annoying and boring.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, TOPIC! TOPIC! Please Razz
Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Rahotep and Nofret have a family?
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsekh wrote:
Does Rahotep and Nofret have a family?

Hi Ramsekh, apparently if they had children they didn't suvive. There are no known children of the couple.
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His father was probably a Pharaoh, making him of quite high importance. The details of his mother are (I think) unsure so we do not know whether she was a principle wife or concubine. Judging from his titles and tomb it appears that he was of extremely highnoble birth, making him the son of a concubine seem less likely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: