Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index Ancient Egyptian Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mythology Books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Si-amun
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope your not talking about the Hindu God Ganesh! Because that is just rude! lol
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Advertisement

Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what they are. You can't tell. They look like Cousin It from the Addam's Family...or a charred tree.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a modern God or an ancient Egyptian one you are talking about?
Ramsekh
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a god at all. It's a real person. They look like black sasquatches.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why Ape-men made you think of Ganesh. He is the Elephant god of luck and business. He is also prayed to to alieviate pests and annoyances. I seem to remember that he was carved from clay and dirt by Parvarti- we did it a couple of years ago in school.

What exactly do you mean by 'a real person'- Do you mean those people with facial-hair disorders or do you mean an actual god?

Smile
Gods/Goddesses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea. The people with the "facial hair disorders". I see one. I run.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Start running Ramsekh!!! Reply with quote

Don't know what this has to with Egyptian Gods or Goddesses, but what you are talking about is Congenital generalized hypertrichosis (CGH). It is an extremely rare disorder characterized by excessive hair growth on the face and upper body for which reason it has been dubbed "Werewolf syndrome" by the popular press. CGH is a fully penetrant X-linked dominant trait in a single, multigenerational Mexican family. This family had 19 reported cases. Individuals with this rare phenotype have in the past appeared in circuses as "dog men" and "ape men".

I could only find these two pics on the net but have recently watched a program (don't recall the channel) that followed two teenage boys of this Mexican family with this disorder and their life as acrobats in the circus.

source 1
source 2

Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to sound racist or skin-ist (?), but that sort of thing sends shivers down my spine. I'd like to think that I am O.K with it, but I really think that it is quite horrible.

Those poor people. Sad
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psusennes I wrote:
I don't want to sound racist or skin-ist (?), but that sort of thing sends shivers down my spine. I'd like to think that I am O.K with it, but I really think that it is quite horrible.

Those poor people. Sad

Unfortunately Psusennes, that is the natural human reaction to what is out of the ordinary and can be decribed as Xenophobia. We have a fear of the unknown or of what we don't undertand. Really though think about it, who is the poorer, the one who fears the unknown based on a difference of another's appearance, or the one who must sustain the strength to carry on a daily life in the face of such adversity?

I don't think I need to give the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ancient Egyptian Forum Forum Index -> Gods and Goddesses All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: